Friday, September 18, 2015

THE WATCHER by TARA CRESCENT - #BOOKREVIEW

Title: The Watcher
Author: Tara Crescent
Release Date: July 5, 2015



Her mother is seriously ill. Her job is tiring and stressful. There is darkness within her, a craving for pain and raw, hard sex. The mysterious Club Phoenix offers Kelly Mitchell all these things.

But surrendering control at the doors of the dungeon is an addictive feeling and with each visit, she fall further and further into oblivion.

All she has to protect her are her safe words and the carefully intent eyes of the Watcher. He is Kelly’s lifeline. But will he catch her before she loses herself completely? Will he keep her safe?

Will she even want him to?

Note: This is a dark read. Happy endings are optional. While all scenes are consensual, they are filled with harsh sadomasochism, anal play and humiliation.

I've read a few books by Tara Crescent, so I knew what style to expect.  I also knew to expect the book to be dirty and dark.  The Watcher was both.  Kelly is going through a very rough time. Her job is stressful, finances are tight, and her mother has Alzheimer's.  While Kelly has never practiced BDSM, she knows she likes the idea and she needs a release.  Her childhood friend, Miles, sees Kelly for what she is and tells her about Club Phoenix and brings her there.  

Since Kelly is completely new to the scene the club assigns her a protector of sorts, a watcher.  The watcher is there to make sure that Kelly's limits are respected and that her safe words are observed.  The problem arises when Kelly doesn't have any limits.  She does anything and everything without uttering a safe word.  The watcher doesn't speak.  He just observes.  This ends up making Kelly do even more.  She is attracted to the watcher, and she thinks it's reciprocal, but he doesn't act on it and neither does she.

Eventually  Kelly is so far gone that she gets into a dangerous scene.  The watcher finally speaks up and punishes her.  It's obvious then that he wants her as much as she wants him.  

There are two different endings for the book.  One is a traditional HEA and the other is more of a dark ending.  So the reader can decide which ending they prefer.  

The Watcher is told in Kelly's point of view.  Tara Crescent is very good about telling us what Kelly sees, heres, and feels.  We see her go down a very dark path and wonder where she'll end up.  

If you're looking for something dark and dirty then definitely pick up The Watcher.   I give The Watcher 4 stars!



 




Hello, I’m Tara Crescent. I’ve always fantasized about being a mysterious spy, leading a secret double-life, and now, I find that that’s come true!

Sort of.

By day, I’m a mild-mannered corporate drone in Toronto, but by night, I’m limited only by my imagination; I sit, and I type, and I am a daring writer of BDSM, erotica and romance.

In my spare time, I write of course. I also read, garden, travel, cook, and almost never clean. I just started watching Walking Dead on Netflix (zombie erotica, anyone?), and I’m impatiently awaiting the next episode of Doctor Who. (I would kill for a TARDIS.)

I’ve scribbled bits and pieces all my life, chiefly inspired by what I’m reading, which tends to be mainly science-fiction and fantasy, with a healthy sprinkling of romance and erotica thrown in.

I’m a huge believer in happily-ever-after, but tempered by real life, where happily-ever-after is possible, but takes work.  My favorite kind of romance stories are ones that are somewhat believable; I like strong men and women who know what they want out of life, and are driven to get it.


I love reader email; I can be reached at taracrescent@gmail.com.

Happy reading and writing!




No comments:

Post a Comment